- University of Pittsburgh www.pitt.edu/ Pittsburgh, PA
- Professional Year Social Studies Education April 2008
- GPA 4.0/4.0
- B.A. Social Sciences – April 2007
- GPA 3.92/4.0
- Professional Year Social Studies Education April 2008
- Grove City College www.gcc.edu/ Grove City, PA
- B.S. in Business/Computer Systems Management, Minor in Political Science – May 2003
Arundel High School www.arundelhigh.org Gambrills, MD Aug 2008 Present
Teacher, Social Studies & Computer Science
- Planned, prepared, executed total instruction for AP Psychology, AP Computer Science Principles, Honors Java, AP United States History, General Psychology and Leadership classes.
- Have improved the school’s AP Psychology Exam scores by 20% (from avg score 2.6 to avg score 3.2) since 2008.
- Executed Professional Development Trainings on technology to fellow teachers as a county appointed technology liaison.
- Introduction to Edmodo: April 2013
- Introduction to iPads in the Classroom: May 2013
- Using Wikis in the Classroom: October 2011
- Executed Professional Development Sessions through the Dept. of Social Studies Instruction.
- Teaching like a Social Scientist: Sept 2013
- Common Core Mathematics in the Social Studies Classroom: April 2013
- Reading like a Historian: October 2012
- Maintained and implemented instructional support for the school’s iPad cart as the lead iPad teacher.
- Wrote “Flipped classroom” US History curriculum for AACPS Biomedical Allied Health Program’s 9th grade US History course sequence during summer 2013.
- Initiated the APP (Arundel Peer Program) tutoring program for Advanced Placement classes, May 2013.
- Coached boys and girls Cross Country teams, 2009-2011.
- Advised the Arundel Model United Nations club through the participation in the Johns Hopkins Model UN conference and University of Maryland UN conference, 2009-present.
Educational Testing Services Kansas City, MO & Louisville, KY June 2014 – present
AP Exam Grader – Psychology
- Read and scored thousands of AP exam essays in the yearly reading of the College Board’s AP Psychology exam.
iScore 5 App online Sept 2015
- Wrote questions for the chapter on the biological bases of behavior for a test preparation app.
Ronald McDonald House of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA Sept 2007 Aug 2008
Night / Weekend House Manager
- Managed the house, acting as point person at nights and on weekends for families with children admitted to Children? Hospital of Pittsburgh.
Conservation Consultants Inc. www.ccicenter.org Pittsburgh, PA Jan 2005-May 2007
CCI Center Coordinator / Energy Auditor
- Consulted with Low Income Duquesne Light customers, made recommendations for usage reduction. Managed and scheduled building activities and maintenance, guided building visitors on Green Building tours, Maintained organization website and database, published the company E-newsletter “Eye on the Environment.”
AmeriCorps CLEARCorps Program Pittsburgh, PA Mar 2004-Jan 2005
Community Services Volunteer
- Educated families and children on the hazards of lead-based paints. Remedied Lead-based paint hazards from low income homes in the Pittsburgh region.
TEACHING HONORS / AWARDS
- 2014 Excellence in Education Award: High School Teacher of the Year: West Anne Arundel County Chamber of Commerce.
- 2014 Anne Arundel County Teacher of the Year: Finalist
- Teacher Grant Recipient: Community Foundation of Anne Arundel County: 2013
- Awarded $500 to teach Psychology of the Individual classes through the lens of Artificial Intelligence using Arduino Robotics Controllers.
- Association for Psychological Science (APS) Honorary Member: 2011-2013
- Awarded a complimentary membership in professional Psychology association for guiding my students through the Psychological research process to be the only high school students to present at the annual APS convention in DC. http://www.capitalgazette.com/crofton_westcounty/news/arundel-psychology-students-honored-at-national-convention/article_4f30300c-cf73-5eb1-82cb-68c2b7edc68c.html
- Invited to speak at Ignite Baltimore 2013
- Invited to Delivered a very well received visual presentation on my classroom cooperation game to an audience of 450 at Ignite, a tech-savvy forum for local change-makers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUuc1_eQk-c
- Teaching American History Master Teacher: June 2011
- Completed and awarded title of “Master Teacher” through the Federal Teaching American History grant program in. http://www2.ed.gov/programs/teachinghistory/index.html
- Featured on New York Times Freakonomics Blog: May 2010
- Featured on national news blog for my Cognitive Bias VideoSong which was written and recorded for my AP Psychology Students. http://freakonomics.com/2010/05/05/cognitive-bias-song/
- Arundel High School “Staff-Staff” Award: September 2010 & May 2012
- Chosen twice by fellow faculty & staff members as Teacher of the Month.
- Featured on Scientific American: April 2012
- Through my association with APS, was able to propel by student work to be featured on Scientific American’s blog page. http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/thoughtful-animal/2012/04/13/friday-fun-cloth-monkey-wire-monkey-video/
- Chosen to be observed by State Superintendent: Fall 2011
- Chosen by Anne Arundel County upon the request of State Superintendent Nancy Grasmick to observe an “Outstanding Advanced Placement Teacher.”
- ETS Recognition of Excellence Award:
- PRAXIS II Social Studies Content Knowledge Test; Score of 191/200.
- National Board Certification in progress during 2013-14 school year.
- UMBC Social Psychology Coursework: Fall 2012
- Took initiative to enrolled in University level Social Psychology course to bolster knowledge and experience with Social Psychological research.
- Teaching American History “Master Teacher” Program: 2009-2011
- Completed three year master teacher program in conjunction with the University of Maryland Baltimore County and York College Professor Peter Levy.
- Created master teacher lessons which emphasized primary source investigation and historical literacy.
- College Board – Advanced Placement Summer Institute in Psychology: Lewes Delaware, July 2010
- Engaged in one intensive week of learning strategies for the Advanced Placement Psychology classroom with renowned high school Psychology teacher Alan Feldman.
- College Board – Advanced Placement Summer Institute in United States History: Morehead, KY, July 2009
- Received intensive instruction on the teaching of AP United States History, including document analysis, grading strategies and content pacing.
- Achieved Advanced Professional Certificate & Masters Equivalence: Sept 2011.
- Various Voluntary AACPS Professional Development programs
- Advanced Placement Institutes at AACC 2008-present.
- AACPS High School Technology Liaison training 2012-present.
- Country AP Psychology Collaborative Sessions 2009-present.
- Document Publishing: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF etc.
- Graphic Arts: Adobe Illustrator, Fireworks, Photoshop
- Hardware: iPad cart, LCD Projector & Smart Board Proficient
- Video Production: Adobe Premier, FinalCut Pro, iStopMotion, iMovie
- Audio Production: ProTools, CuBase, Audacity, GarageBand